Thursday, September 18, 2014

Crossfit! and why I hate it.

It is rest day and I'm feeling salty! Let's rant about CrossFit. (More crossFit arguments to come at a later date.. I am in class now)

http://ojs.sagepub.com/content/2/4/2325967114531177.full

Okay so, from the research I have found the injury rate of CrossFitters versus Powerlifters is actually minimal. Crossfit only has a slightly higher injury rate than powerlifting. I don't know if I agree with this but this is what the studies I have read have proposed. Hopefully more studies will come out proving CrossFit more dangerous.. until then. If you find different info send it my way! I think CrossFitting can be done safely but it's rarely done so. CrossFit does seem like a cult. All CrossFitters seem to talk about is themselves and CrossFit. This is very true from the people I have encountered. Don't get me wrong I LOVE people that Olympic lift. Then why not just Olympic lift?

CrossFit does come off a bit cultish and people are noticing... http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6989688/crossfit-is-a-cult

My main complains.. because I am feeling salty today.

NICE WOD BRO!
WoDs.. or workouts of the day. A timed (usually) segment of the lifts and other fluffery that a CrossFitter will do that day.
Example...
Deadlift 225 lb
Handstand push-ups
21-15-9 reps, for time
Example 2
  • The Murph - a timed 1-mile run, followed by 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 body weight squats, finished off by another 1-mile run.
 Having it timed usually means the CrossFitters are running around trying to have the lowest time for that day. and don't worry the WoD usually involves running.. not that running and lifting should ever go together. I believe workouts should be at about an hour. That's right at what your body can take. These WoDs are usually around 15 minutes? correct me if I am wrong.

FORM?
I lift at a local gym with a CrossFit gym built in. I believe these CrossFit gyms are the most dangerous where the "trainer" received their certification in a day. Everyday I see a small class in the gym. The reason CrossFit is dangerous is this. Terrible, un-knowledgeable coaches. These people come in for a fun, group atmosphere and to get fit and strong! What is wrong with that? Nothing. These poor people are sucked in and put with a "trainer" who knows little. The form I see is terrifying, collapsed knees, too much weight, bad clean form, collapsed feet, rounded back, heels up in squat position and the list goes on...

KIPPING PULL UPS....http://broscience.co/dumbass-crossfitters-pullups/ #broscience #brosciencewins

SKINNY YEAH!
Most of the professional competing CrossFiters are pretty big and strong. Most of the other CrossFitters are not. Why would you want to be so skinny and look like you don't workout. Most...will call them CrossBros. Anyways, most CrossBros are tiny, skinny and not very strong! No idea why these people are staying with a workout regime that doesn't really do anything for you. At least you get to talk about your WoD and how awesome CrossFit is though right?

Push too hard?  Article on if crossfit pushes its clients too hard. http://www.livestrong.com/article/545200-the-fall-of-fitness/

Dear CrossFitters and other bad formers at the gym,
Here is what I suggest. READ!!!!! Learn about safe form and what form works best for your body type (especially height). Knowledge is power! Find a professional lifter on youtube and watch their videos. Also, try out a trainer, one that actually knows something. Use a trainer who has competed and who you have seen lift and has great form and is great at explaining things. Don't feel the need to stick with one trainer, shop around. USE A FRIEND! Learning how to lift is super fun especially if you have a buddy. If both of you have done adequate research, tell each other how your form is looking. You DON'T need CrossFit to have a great time at the gym. Talk to other lifters, meet people and get strong.

Side note for lifters... Don't go to heavy too fast! Be careful! Make sure your form is impeccable at a lower weight before moving your weight up. If you don't have a friend to check your from use a camera. DON'T TRY TO TURN YOUR HEAD TO LOOK AT YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR. Jesus.

Follow these guys...
Awesome Olympic lifting gym... https://www.youtube.com/user/CaliforniaStrength

No comments:

Post a Comment