Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Why I Lift

I lift to be strong; mentally, physically and psychologically. Something special happens when a woman lifts heavy at the gym, the hormone changes, the body changes and body image improvements. This blog is to track my fitness progress through the wonderful world of powerlifting and to help you with your fitness goals, whatever they may be. I am not a wonderful writer but I will do my best.
Overall… I am finishing up college this semester at the University of Kentucky. I am 22 and weigh about 120 lbs. I have been lifting for a little over a year and have learned A LOT. I really try to focus on form, correct programing, nutrition and listening to what my body wants. My lifts untested should currently be at
Bench: 125
Squat: 185
Deadlift: 205
I have run Westside, 5/3/1 and am currently trying out the Brad Gillingham Bench Program and the Gale Hatch Squat Program with some twists.
I am also will be competing for the first time in March 2015!


MACROS! I believe eating healthy is the best way to look great, build muscle and lift heavy. I am eating pretty strictly right now 6 days a week and have a cheat day once a week.
Macros are at… Calories: 1650 Fat: 55g Protein: 206 g and Carbs 84 grams. I am on a 50/30/20 split.
Let’s start with today…


BANCH DAY!
I did a heavy bench day today. I am at week 5 in the Brad Gillingham Bench Program. It rocks, so far. I am smashing numbers and my chest feels considerably pumped after my workouts. I feel like I am finally making some progress on bench. FEELS LIKE THE FIRST TIME.
http://www.marylandpowerlifting.com/GillinghamBench.asp (link to the Brad Gillingham Program Calc)
On this program you bench twice a week doing a heavy day and a light day. I suggest this type of a bench program for people that are already familiar with lifting and especially benching. Benching twice a week without experience can be detrimental to your body.


My workout went pretty well. My actual bench work was the only thing I had trouble with today. I had some home stuff going on that I couldn’t get off of my mind. Then some Crossfit douche would not stop bothering me. Anyways here was my workout for today…


Bench-  work up to 1x105
Then 3x5 at 90 lbs
Over head press (military)- 4x8 45lbs bar
lat pullover 3x10 60lbs
Tri pushdown 3x10 60lbs
Bentover rows 4x10 105 lbs
DB pushups 4x8 BW
curls 3x10 15 lbs each hand
lat raise 3x10 10lbs each hand
Shrugs 4x10 110 lbs
Then I threw in some grip work
Forearm curls(BB)  3x10 40 lbs
Wrist curls (BB) 3x10 20 lbs
Grippers 4x5 60 lbs
Kind of a long day but I really was enjoying my accessory work today. I really try to actually throw in my shrugs, b/o rows and grip work on either my squat day or my deadlift day but my squat day ran long this week and I didn’t have time so I did it today.


GRIPWORK
I believe grip work is extremely important to the success of any of your lifts. If your hands are failing on your lifts they shouldn’t be. Proper grip work can get your hands and forearms ready for lifting bigger weights. I LOVE fat bar holds and the captains of crush grippers.


Alright. Well many more posts to come. Hopefully some funnier ones. Unfortunately I have not had a very hilarious day but sometimes I am funny...just fitness today though. I am about to go down some hamburger meat, chicken and rice!


PS. Please feel free to ask any questions on lifting or nutrition I would love to try and help with anyones fitness goals. If I don’t know the answer to something I will try to point you in the direction of someone who does!


Thanks!!!!

~Sara
pics from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment